Looking for rackmount brackets

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 31 03:07:29 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>
To: <tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org>
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: Looking for rackmount brackets

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 07:32:49AM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> > Earlier this week I acquired a used 3com SuperStack II Dual Speed Hub
500
> > which did not come with the rackmount brackets, but which I now need to
get
> > installed into a standard 19" rack. In other words I need to find a
source
> > of suitable 3com brackets or I need to roll my own brackets. Also, any
> > solution needs to be cheap.
> >
> > I have visited Active Surplus, they don't have suitable brackets for
sale,
> > and at least while they are undergoing renovations the only metal sheets
> > they have on hand are thin sheets of copper (which appears to be way too
> > thin to be suitable). I went to a home building store which has 1/8"
thick
> > 1" steel angle brackets for sale that I think would be ok, just drill
some
> > holes (by my measure I should be ok with angle bracket of .75" - 1"
(i.e.:
> > .75" to 1" per side)), the problem is they only seem to sell in lengths
> > starting at 36" (I would need two length of 1.75")... I also looked at
the
> > metal brackets used to help support 2" x 4" framing studs at the home
> > building store, price was right, but they didn't appear to be strong
enough.
> > Ideas (preferably cheap)?

First a quick update thanks to Terry Tanski I now have in hand a set of 3com
brackets (much appreciated).

> Have you asked the place you got the switch from if they just happen to
> have the original brackets around?

Yes I asked and the answer was/is no...

> It amazes me how many people sell used rack mount hardware and don't
> include the brackets.  it isn't as if those brackets will fit anything
> else they have around.  Maybe places like ebay should have a notice for
> people posting computer hardware, to make sure all rackmount hardware
> includes the mounts as it is otherwise just inconviniently shaped non
> rack mount equipment.  At my previous job, out of 6 IBM x330's, one
> included the rails, and they are not very complicated rails, but the
> machines are a real hassle without them.

The hub was payment for a job done at a charity, and my understanding is
that they got the hub used (sigh...). Still, I would semi echo your view in
that when you get rid of a piece of rack mount hardware, get rid of of it
all to the same place...

> I don't think you need very strong brackets since I doubt the switch/hub
> is that heavy.

True, but I did want it all to look neat.

> You should of course also ask 3com what a set of mounts cost.  They may
> be reasonably priced.

Not sure about that given that this particular model hub is discontinued.
Still fortunately thank to Terry Tanski this is now an academic question as
far as I am now concerned.