Looking for rackmount brackets

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 30 16:24:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 07:32:49AM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> Earlier this week I acquired a used 3com SuperStack II Dual Speed Hub 500
> which did not come with the rackmount brackets, but which I now need to get
> installed into a standard 19" rack. In other words I need to find a source
> of suitable 3com brackets or I need to roll my own brackets. Also, any
> solution needs to be cheap.
>
> I have visited Active Surplus, they don't have suitable brackets for sale,
> and at least while they are undergoing renovations the only metal sheets
> they have on hand are thin sheets of copper (which appears to be way too
> thin to be suitable). I went to a home building store which has 1/8" thick
> 1" steel angle brackets for sale that I think would be ok, just drill some
> holes (by my measure I should be ok with angle bracket of .75" - 1" (i.e.:
> .75" to 1" per side)), the problem is they only seem to sell in lengths
> starting at 36" (I would need two length of 1.75")... I also looked at the
> metal brackets used to help support 2" x 4" framing studs at the home
> building store, price was right, but they didn't appear to be strong enough.
> Ideas (preferably cheap)?

Have you asked the place you got the switch from if they just happen to
have the original brackets around?

It amazes me how many people sell used rack mount hardware and don't
include the brackets.  it isn't as if those brackets will fit anything
else they have around.  Maybe places like ebay should have a notice for
people posting computer hardware, to make sure all rackmount hardware
includes the mounts as it is otherwise just inconviniently shaped non
rack mount equipment.  At my previous job, out of 6 IBM x330's, one
included the rails, and they are not very complicated rails, but the
machines are a real hassle without them.

I don't think you need very strong brackets since I doubt the switch/hub
is that heavy.

You should of course also ask 3com what a set of mounts cost.  They may
be reasonably priced.

Lennart Sorensen