DNS, redux

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 15:40:39 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On January 27, 2004 09:31 pm, Madison Kelly wrote:
>

>>  The domain 'madisonave.ca' -was- pointing to the NS 'ns1|2.alteeve.com'
>>but that was what I wanted to change with the updated zone files. At the
>>time though the zone file's TTL was set to one week but that should have
>>expired by now. The new zone files point to 'ns1|2.madisonave.ca' but
>>the new zones won't propegate. Therein lies the problem... :)
>

> Maybe I'm missing something but here's what I see ...
>
> - madisonave.ca has dns servers ns1.alteeve.com and ns2.alteeve.com
> - nameservers ns1.alteeve.com and ns2.alteeve.com do not exist
>
> What you put in your zones files is meaningless since for the outside world
> you have non-existent nameservers.  If you bring ns1.alteeve.com and
> ns2.alteeve.com into existence that might be enough to make things work.  If
> you bring ns1.alteeve.com and ns2.alteeve.com into existence that might be
> enought to correct your issues.

Oh darn,

   I saw that when I changed the Registrar records that it changed the
default NS to be applied to -future- domains. I had to take one more
step to apply it to -existing- domain. That is fixed but still no
resolution. Here is what I am getting;

   Nameservers of the test workstation; 142.77.1.5, 142.77.2.36

Output from test workstation (my home box) outside the server's network.

[root-rsR6PDGiyyg at public.gmane.org madison]# dig madisonave.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2-P3 <<>> madisonave.ca
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 20984
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;madisonave.ca.                 IN      A

;; Query time: 86 msec
;; SERVER: 142.77.2.36#53(142.77.2.36)
;; WHEN: Wed Jan 28 10:24:28 2004
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 31

[root-rsR6PDGiyyg at public.gmane.org madison]# whois madisonave.ca
[Querying whois.cira.ca]
[whois.cira.ca]
Admin-Name:     Madison Kelly
Admin-Title:
Admin-Postal:   Kelly Madison
                 101 Ponymeadow Terrace
                 Toronto ON M1C 4J6 Canada
Admin-Phone:    4192080146
Admin-Fax:      4164445136
Admin-Mailbox:  i-188824dvxh-Gvgzg/abz7HgD2otRqL4qS/Y4qc9gO6C at public.gmane.org
Tech-Name:      Madison Kelly
Tech-Title:
Tech-Postal:    Kelly Madison
                 101 Ponymeadow Terrace
                 Toronto ON M1C 4J6 Canada
Tech-Phone:     4192080146
Tech-Fax:       4164445136
Tech-Mailbox:   i-188824dvxh-Gvgzg/abz7HgD2otRqL4qS/Y4qc9gO6C at public.gmane.org
NS1-Hostname:   ns1.madisonave.ca
NS1-Netaddress: 209.167.86.46
NS2-Hostname:   ns2.madisonave.ca
NS2-Netaddress: 209.167.86.38

   So, the NS are now pointing to the proper locations
(ns1|2.madisonave.ca) which are themselves in the Madisonave.ca zone.
The changes have been in effect since just before 8am... I am not sure
how long it takes to get the root servers or whatever to figure out
where to point things to.

   Thanks for the ever continuing help!

Madison