DNS, redux

Kevin Cozens kcozens-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 28 18:52:39 UTC 2004

At 09:31 PM 01/27/2004, Madison wrote:
>   The domain 'madisonave.ca' -was- pointing to the NS 'ns1|2.alteeve.com'
>but that was what I wanted to change with the updated zone files. At the
>time though the zone file's TTL was set to one week but that should have
>expired by now. The new zone files point to 'ns1|2.madisonave.ca' but
>the new zones won't propegate. Therein lies the problem... :)

As of my typing this message, a lookup on madisonave.ca (using the default
name servers of my connection to Rogers) gives me your .38 address and the
information that www.madisonave.ca is an alias. Looks like it is ok to me.
A lookup on alteeve.com also works but does not list an alias.

If you have other zones to transfer, you should shorten their default TTL
values and update the serial numbers in the zone records now. That way,
when you are ready to transfer the other 20 or so domains, the updates will
take effect sooner.

The named.conf file you listed is from the master (ns1) machine? If you
want the ns1 machine to do zone transfers to ns2 from time to time (when
you change the information on ns1), the named.conf file on ns2 should be
marked as a slave IIRC.

Cheers!

Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"