External USB2.0 HDD disconnect

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 20:24:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:13:13PM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   Thanks for the reply and the confirmation of what I thought... On the
> removeable tray; it isn't an internal removeable tray, it's an external
> USB2.0-attached housing that accepts removeable hdd trays. I like it
> because it will make it as easy as possible for the client to swap out
> the carriers (no [un]plugging the chassis) and the hdd tray is as small
> as possible when using a full hdd for backup.

I am pretty sure that if you try and remove the HD tray while it is
powered, it will get very upset.  I think you will have to unplug it
first.  IDE devices are not designed to be plugged and unplugged while
powered.  USB is, but that is the USB part of the thing, not the IDE
part.  SATA supposedly can do hotplugging.

>   I guess the next step then is to make a manual backup, put the server
> into init 1 and then change all the filesystems to LVM... -Shoul- be
> easy enough... (I know, why don't I just kick Murphy in the arse and see
> if he leaves me alone still, too! ;) ).

Well hopefully that works out.  Make sure there is room for snapshots
too.

Lennart Sorensen