External USB2.0 HDD disconnect

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 20:59:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 03:24:08PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > USB2.0-attached housing that accepts removeable hdd trays. I like it

I was just reminded of the LaCie "Bigger Disk", and the advertised transfer
rates using its various interfaces:
USB2.0: 34MB/s
FireWire400: 35MB/s
FireWire800: 55MB/s

A run of the mill drive probably can't do much better than saturate 35MB/s,
though.  AFAIK CPU use for USB is much higher than FW, though.  Just so you know.

--
taa

   Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/