recovering grub after installing XP

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 14:15:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 05:20:23PM -0500, David Tilbrook wrote:
> The lowest partition on my laptop currently contains Windows2000
> which I want to replace by XP.
>
> I am using RH9.2 in the other partitions.
>
> I believe that when I install XP it will change the boot partition
> so that grub will no longer be in place, thus making it difficult
> for me to boot RH.
>
> What measures do I take before installing XP so that I can recover
> and reset the boot partition to bring up grub?

If you install the boot loader onto the linux partition, and make it
active and make sure the MBR contains a generic "boot the active
partition" program, then after installing windows you just have to
change the active partition setting in the disk manager to get back to
booting linux.  If you have the boot loader in the MBR then it will get
nicely trashed when you run windows installer.

Lennart Sorensen