CUPS first-timer

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 19 21:26:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:53:59AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I am trying to print with CUPS drivers for the first time.
>
> I set up the printer and printed a CUPS test successfully - looks
> horrible but that's for another post. Trying to print an NSMEssesnger
> email it's asking for Print Command. I gooogled around a bit and the
> only command I see is lp and lpr. I tried both of these and get
>
> Status Information:
> sending job 'lsf-bi+AKbBUZKZeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org+827' to hp at localhost
> connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
> cannot open connection to localhost - No such  file or directory
> Make sure  the remotee host supports  the LPD protocol
> abnd acceptsconnections from this host and from non-privileged (<1023)
> ports.

> Location: lp0
> Printer state: idle, accepting jobs
> Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
>
> Any ideas. Seems to be tryign to print over a network, yet the CUPS test
> happily prints to the printer port.

If you install cupsys-client (sysv print command) and cupsys-bsd (bsd
print commands), all the applications that work with lp or lpr will work
with cupsys.  That's pretty much all there is to it.  Well that and
making sure lpd, lprng, etc are all exterminated as they deserve to be.
:)

Lennart Sorensen