CUPS first-timer

Paul Mora paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 20 00:38:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-19 at 11:53, Chris Aitken wrote:

> Status Information:
> sending job 'lsf-bi+AKbBUZKZeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org+827' to hp at localhost
> connecting to 'localhost', attempt 1
> cannot open connection to localhost - No such  file or directory
> Make sure  the remotee host supports  the LPD protocol
> abnd acceptsconnections from this host and from non-privileged (<1023)
> ports.

> Location: lp0
> Printer state: idle, accepting jobs
> Device URI: parallel:/dev/lp0
>
> Any ideas. Seems to be tryign to print over a network, yet the CUPS test
> happily prints to the printer port.

Hi Chris.

I don't know what distro you're using, so some of what I'm about to say
may or may not work as specified.  I'm basing this on Red Hat Linux 9,
which is what I've used CUPS on.

1. Make sure CUPS is running.  If you've made changes to the config,
make sure you restart the CUPS daemon.  This can usually be done with a
"service cups restart" or "killall -HUP cupsd" or something like that.

2. Red Hat systems allow you to have both LPRng and CUPS installed at
the same time, but only one running.  Both have been packaged to use the
"alternatives" utility to switch links for the binaries to the
appropriate package.  From your above output, it looks like your lpr
command is pointing to the one for LPRng, not the one for CUPS.

To see which one you're pointing to, run "alternatives --display
print".  The first couple of lines should say something like:

   print - status is auto.
    link currently points to /usr/bin/lpr.cups

If the link is pointing to /usr/bin/lpr.LPRng, then switch it over using
the command: "alternatives --set print /usr/bin/lpr.cups"

Also, turn off LPRng and disable it with:
  service lpd stop
  chkconfig lpd off

3. Even though you're printing to a local printer, CUPS still prints via
the "network" through localhost.  The CUPS service uses the Internet
Printing Protocol (IPP) which is very closely based on HTTP.  Make sure
you don't have any iptables rules that block stuff to loopback.

4. Some other print commands that may be on your system are "qtcups" and
"kprinter"; both of them emulate the print dialog box in Windows.

That's all I can come up with right now... see if that works.

pm

--
Paul Mora <paulmora-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>