tiff to MPEG-1

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 00:23:03 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:30:56PM -0500, GDHough wrote:
> I have had good results using the mencoder portion of MPlayer. I believe there
> is limited support for creating MPEG's with mencoder, but it would be better
> to build an AVI container and then convert to MPEG-1 with some other tool.
>
> Create an AVI from all TIFF's in a directory:
>
> [farmer6re9]$ mencoder \*.tiff -mf on:fps=25:type=tiff -o temp.avi -ovc lavc
> -lavcopts vbitrate=1800:vhq:keyint=132
>
> Then use something like mplex to convert to MPEG-1, although I've never tried
> it myself.

Does MPLEX do transcoding?  I should think that one would have to specify
MPEG-1 encoding with -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video, lest the default mpeg4
be used.  And really, even if MPLEX does transcoding, it'd be silly to
do so if not necessary.

Also the framerate of 25 is more applicable to PAL systems which aren't
that common in Canada.  29.94 (or just 30) would probably be more useful
depending on the display medium.

--
taa

   A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in
   anything.  Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.
      - Robert A. Heinlein
/*eof*/