tiff to MPEG-1

GDHough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 15 13:55:11 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 19:23, Taavi Burns wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 06:30:56PM -0500, GDHough wrote:
> > I have had good results using the mencoder portion of MPlayer. I believe
> > there is limited support for creating MPEG's with mencoder, but it would

You must've seen the man pages for mplayer. It has more switches than Bell. I
understand there is support for mpeg's, but I haven't tried it yet.

> Does MPLEX do transcoding?  I should think that one would have to specify
> MPEG-1 encoding with -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video, lest the default mpeg4
> be used.  And really, even if MPLEX does transcoding, it'd be silly to
> do so if not necessary.

Exactly, something the original poster should look into.

> Also the framerate of 25 is more applicable to PAL systems which aren't
> that common in Canada.  29.94 (or just 30) would probably be more useful
> depending on the display medium.

A minor technicality with one pass encoding of stills. What I placed in the
post was a quick paste from .bash_history, meant as an example. Perhaps the
original poster never even heard of mencoder. I think the actual value is
29.97 for telecined mpeg's. One has to dive into the software to achieve
their own personal requirements. The switch -of mpeg is beta, the default is
avi.

Help from the experts may be found here:

And of course, trial and error if the accurate answer is absent.
--
Eating Crow is better with MyCrowSauce