tiff to MPEG-1

GDHough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 14 23:30:56 UTC 2004

I have had good results using the mencoder portion of MPlayer. I believe there
is limited support for creating MPEG's with mencoder, but it would be better
to build an AVI container and then convert to MPEG-1 with some other tool.

Create an AVI from all TIFF's in a directory:

[farmer6re9]$ mencoder \*.tiff -mf on:fps=25:type=tiff -o temp.avi -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vbitrate=1800:vhq:keyint=132

Then use something like mplex to convert to MPEG-1, although I've never tried
it myself.

MPLEX http://www.bebits.com/app/1915
MPLEX HOW-TO http://www.silvan.demon.co.uk/beos/mplex-how-to.html
MPLAYER http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/DOCS

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 10:37, Jim Ruxton wrote:
> Curious if any of you know how I would convert a tiff file to an MPEG-1
> file. The device I'm using to display an image only accepts MPEG-1 and I
> only have a tiff available (although I could convert it to another image
> type using Gimp). The MPEG file only needs to be about 10 seconds long.

You could do conversions with the GIMP. I prefer to use a one-liner:

mogrify -format jpeg *.tiff
HTH
farmer6re9
--