tiff to MPEG-1

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 14 16:09:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:37:06AM -0500, Jim Ruxton wrote:
> Curious if any of you know how I would convert a tiff file to an MPEG-1
> file. The device I'm using to display an image only accepts MPEG-1 and I
> only have a tiff available (although I could convert it to another image
> type using Gimp). The MPEG file only needs to be about 10 seconds long.

How about:

you have input0.png (or jpeg or something else normal not tiff).
for i in `seq 1 1 299`; do ln -s input0.png input$i.png; done
ffmpeg -r 30 -i input%d.png output.mpg

Should give you 300 frame mpeg1 at 30fps which is 10 seconds.

convert can convert whatever into png or such.  png is lossless which is
probably a good idea for intermediate file format.  Also make sure the
resolution of the input image is valid for the playback device.  640x480
or 640x240 or 480x240 or whatever it wants.

Lennart Sorensen