Mandrake 9.1 kernel update problems

Clive DaSilva cdasilva-q6EoVN9bke6w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 11 20:49:10 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:

>On January 11, 2004 02:13 pm, Austin Acton wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 14:07, Clive DaSilva wrote:
>>

>>>Since then I have tried to upgrade my kernel twice since then,
>>>first to 2.4.21.0.27 mdk and also to 2.6.0.1mdk. In both cases, the
>>>urpmi tool as well as "rpm --checksig kernelwhatever.rpm" reported a
>>>"bad signature" and borked the installation.
>>>

>>Don't confuse "bad signature" with "bad checksum".
>>The latter means the rpm is broken, but the former just means that you
>>don't have the Mandrake 9.1 pgp key in your rpm database.
>>

>It could also mean that the ftp site has been hacked and that someone has
>replaced the kernel rpm with one that has some nice added features.  Is it
>common for Mandrake rpms to have bad signatures?

Hi  Fraser,

Not sure about your comments re the Mandrake ftp site. After Austin's
comments re the source of the ftp, I did get the rpm from the
www.mandrakesecure.net site which had a kernel advisory regarding
upgrades. Am a Drake newbie (not a linux newbie, I used to use Slackware
7.1 but could not get Slack 9.1 to install on my old box) so have
limited experience with mandrake sources,. What is more likely to be the
problem is that I did not add the pgp key to my rpm database, hence the
install borked. I'll go over the process again.

Thanks to yourself and Austin for your comments.

Clive

--
Clive DaSilva CMA
Home Tel: 416-421-2480