OT: Video signal on monitors

Gregory Pleau gregory.pleau-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 10 18:57:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 14:29, Matthew Godycki wrote:

< snip, slice, dice, still cuts tomatoes >

> > I usually use my PS2 on the PC for one of two reasons - my wife wants the
> > living room TV or I want quick access to gamefaqs.com ;)
> >
> > - Greg
> >

> Both very valid reasons, Greg.  Might I ask you... How do you find the quality of the video when using your PC in the way you described versus using it on the tv?  I notice a *significant* loss in quality using my current setup.
>
> -Matt

Definately notice a drop in quality. I don't have componment video
configired, but S-Video does do better than Composite. My image tends to
be a bit fuzzier than when my PS2 is connected to the TV.
The card so far is great for 'alternate ps2 tv' or watching TV. Don't
know that I'd want to use the signal for making DVDs from my VHS tapes.

The other way works much better - I have my household server connected
to the TV with one of my older AIW cards via S-Video - works much
better, although I had to use VESA instead or r128 in XFree86, ATi
driver was too smart and kept wanting to go back to the VGA monitor.
Gnome on my TV at 800x600. Who needs that XP Media Center stuff?
Actually what would be cool is to hack the gdm theme somehow and get it
to report email count for each family member or other info
(news/weather/answering machine messages).

Must look into that....

- Greg