OT: Video signal on monitors

pegasoft-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org pegasoft-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 23:38:32 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I know this is way OT, but I thought some *may* find this stuff
interesting...

S-video is not Component video.

S-video only separates the chroma and luminance information, so that the
"chroma crawl" beat patterns are reduced... this lends itself to a
slightly better horizontal resolution than straight composite NTSC. But
that's the only difference between the two.

Colour Difference Component separates the video information into three
parts; Luminance (Y), Red minus the Y (R-Y), and Blue minus the Y (B-Y).

True Component video is separated into four parts, the Sync, the Red,
the green, and the Blue, but usually the Sync is combined with the green
signal.

The newest way of doing all of this is with digital serial video (or
SDI).

Which is a 270mb/s data stream which breaks down into 10 bit video
samples of Y, R-Y, B-Y, and up to 8 uncompressed audio channels, all on
one cable.

BTW NTSC stands for "National Television Standards Committee", but is
colloquially known as "Never Twice the Same Colour"

Dan

--
Dan Braun - PegaSoft Canada / CityTV
danb.nospam-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org