OT: Video signal on monitors

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 7 18:49:11 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:05:45PM -0500, David J Patrick wrote:
> You said that the card had S-video; use that if you can !
> the component video signal should perform much better.

I haven't seen a video card that accepts component video.  svideo just
has one wire for luma (brightness?) and one for chroma (I think the
colour part).  Component seperates the colour part into seperate red and
blue offsets as far as I understand it.  Composite ofcourse just throwse
the whole thing into one signal, and cable makes it even worse by
combining the audio into the mix as well.

> Have you used this card with any other operating systems and/or drivers ?
>    you know .. that.. Win.. something..
>    Same crappy image ?
> Is there a quality difference between windowed and full screen ?
> Can you loop throught the device ? Camera to the S-video and component
> to a monitor (or VCR input) ?
>    same ?
> NTSC is generally speaking NTSC so the device shouldn't be putting out a
> lower resolution.
>    or it isn't NTSC
>       Do you know what NTSC stands for ?
>             No Two Same Colour ! It's a fairly crappy standard to start
> with.
>                PAL kicks it ass !

Now if only pal wasn't 50hz interlaced. :)

Could be worse.  Could be secam.  Resolution of NTSC and refresh of PAL.

Lennart Sorensen