OT: Video signal on monitors

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 6 15:56:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 08:19:41PM -0500, Matthew Godycki wrote:
> The monitor in question is an IBM T750 17" LCD which has a
> native resolution of: 1280x1024 running in 32bit colour. In all
> other aspects, I've found it to be a very nice monitor.

Remember that LCDs look awful at anything other than their native
resolution or an integer division of it.

> Ahh.  I think I'll need to do a little bit of research here, see what my
> ATI tuner card is using and see what else is out there using the
> chipset you mention.  Perhaps there are enough differences in the
> chipsets to warrant having a look at a different card.

I used to play with an ATI Rage II + ISA (power only) TV Tuner that
connected to the video card with a ribbon cable.  The gator tools worked
great under linux with it.  It had pretty good looking video (I thought)
at the time, although anything using the coax was pretty bad since I
suspect they had insufficient shielding on the tuner to really operate
in the noisy (RF) environment of a 200MHz PPro.  The video input was
pretty clean at least using the software the card came with or the gator
software in linux.  I haven't had any experience with the ATI PCI tuner
cards or the all in wonders so I don't know how they compare.

If I ever decide to get a tv tuner/capture card again I will probably
get one of the BTTV based once since they seem to be the most open with
specifications allowing better linux support.  One with just video input
and an external tuner box would be even better to keep that part out of
the noise.  I think some nvidia tuner options are done that way, although
I have no idea if those work in linux or if anyone actually sells them.

Lennart Sorensen