OT: Video signal on monitors

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 5 21:32:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:32:02PM -0500, Matthew Godycki wrote:
> Good point, though I think the cable (as in cable tv) is not likely the problem.  I've done a test with hooking up a Playstation 2 directly to my ati card, and then to a tv.  The quality on the monitor is definitely worse, and the only cables at play here are the composite video/audio from the source (PS2) to the display.
>
> I'll try the field mode setting, I've never tinkered with it.  As an aside, I've found this device from ViewSonic... I wonder if it'd make much difference:
>
> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/video_box_nextvisionn5.htm

I have VERY bad experiences with anything that causes the monitor cable
length to increase (ghosting of the signal, ie 5 mouse pointers side by
side getting fainter as).  I doubt that little box has the needed
electronics to capture the signal and repeat it to avoid degredation.
It might make TV and video look better on the monitor, but you have to
switch (as far as I understand it) between just watching the video stuff
or just watching the computer output.  I don't think it can put it in a
window or mix it.

Lennart Sorensen