Linux on an Avaratec 3500 Series laptop

Anton Markov anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 31 02:07:30 UTC 2004

Paul King wrote:
> I managed to install Debian Sarge on my Avaratec laptop. X windows works and
> all that, but ...
>
> 1. Colour on X windows appears to be stepped, as though it were operating at 8
> or 16-bit. I have achieved the rated resolution (1024x768), but not the rated
> bit depth (preferably 24-bit).
Look in the "Screen" section of the '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' file and see
what "DefaultDepth" is set to.

> 2. mouse pad works, but the Avaratec screen also works as a tablet. It comes
> with a pen that has what I think is the laptop's weakest feature: a battery.
> Not just any battery, but an AAAA (that's quadruple A) battery (anyone know
> where to get another one beside another laptop?). The pen works directly on the
> monitor. If the battery is taken out, the pen is useless.
Try looking through the X documentation or searching on
'www.google.com/linux' for "X tablet support" or even your exact laptop
model. It should be a matter of setting up your '/etc/XF86Config-4'
file's "input" section.

As for the batteries, try googling for them (there should be plenty of
suppliers), or rig an external battery pack and a pair of wires when the
batteries die :)

> 3. The disks mount in funny places. The cd-rom is /dev/hda; and the main hard
> drive is /dev/hdc. I have an external USB hard drive, which probably mounts ...
> somewhere. But just not in the usual place. I've tried fdisk'ing /dev/sda,
> /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, ... and it was no go.

Check the output of 'dmesg' or look through 'less /var/log/messages' to
see if the kernel detects the drive. Look for something like this (under
a 2.6 kernel):

Dec 30 11:37:57 anton kernel:   Vendor: LEXAR     Model: JUMPDRIVE
     Rev: 1.02
Dec 30 11:37:57 anton kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Dec 30 11:37:57 anton kernel: SCSI device sdb: 62464 512-byte hdwr sect
ors (32 MB)

Therefore my Jumpdrive is detected as /dev/sdb, and I can access it
through /dev/sdb1 (the first and only partition on /dev/sdb).

--
Anton Markov <("anton" + "@" + "truxtar" + "." + "com")>

GnuPG Key fingerprint =
5546 A6E2 1FFB 9BB8 15C3  CE34 46B7 8D93 3AD1 44B4

*** LINUX - MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU! ***