Linux on an Avaratec 3500 Series laptop

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 31 18:43:53 UTC 2004

Anton Markov <anton-F0u+EriZ6ihBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> Paul King wrote:
> > I managed to install Debian Sarge on my Avaratec laptop. X windows works
> > and all that, but ...
>
> > 1. Colour on X windows appears to be stepped, as though it were operating
> > at 8 or 16-bit. I have achieved the rated resolution (1024x768), but not
> > the rated bit depth (preferably 24-bit).
>
> Look in the "Screen" section of the '/etc/X11/XF86Config-4' file and see what
> "DefaultDepth" is set to.

In addition, xdpyinfo will allow you to confirm your bit depth.  Look at the
visuals section.  If none of them have 24 planes, you're not running at 24
bit.  If DefaultDepth is correclty set, have a look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log
may indicate why you're not running at 24bpp.

> > 3. The disks mount in funny places. The cd-rom is /dev/hda; and the main
> > hard drive is /dev/hdc.

That's normal on some notebooks.

> > I have an external USB hard drive, which probably
> > mounts ... somewhere. But just not in the usual place. I've tried fdisk'ing
> > /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, ... and it was no go.
>
> Check the output of 'dmesg' or look through 'less /var/log/messages' to see
> if the kernel detects the drive. Look for something like this (under a 2.6
> kernel):
>
> Dec 30 11:37:57 anton kernel:   Vendor: LEXAR     Model: JUMPDRIVE
>      Rev: 1.02
> Dec 30 11:37:57 anton kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access
>      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Dec 30 11:37:57 anton kernel: SCSI device sdb: 62464 512-byte hdwr sect
> ors (32 MB)
>
> Therefore my Jumpdrive is detected as /dev/sdb, and I can access it through
> /dev/sdb1 (the first and only partition on /dev/sdb).

Also check (with lsmod) that you have usb-storage, scsi_mod, and sd_mod
loaded.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada