Linux on an Avaratec 3500 Series laptop

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 31 01:42:18 UTC 2004

I managed to install Debian Sarge on my Avaratec laptop. X windows works and
all that, but ...

1. Colour on X windows appears to be stepped, as though it were operating at 8
or 16-bit. I have achieved the rated resolution (1024x768), but not the rated
bit depth (preferably 24-bit).

2. mouse pad works, but the Avaratec screen also works as a tablet. It comes
with a pen that has what I think is the laptop's weakest feature: a battery.
Not just any battery, but an AAAA (that's quadruple A) battery (anyone know
where to get another one beside another laptop?). The pen works directly on the
monitor. If the battery is taken out, the pen is useless.

3. The disks mount in funny places. The cd-rom is /dev/hda; and the main hard
drive is /dev/hdc. I have an external USB hard drive, which probably mounts ...
somewhere. But just not in the usual place. I've tried fdisk'ing /dev/sda,
/dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, ... and it was no go.

If anyone can offer insights or suggestions, feel free to respond.

Regards

Paul King