Anyone using a Tungsten T5 PDA with Linux?

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 21 22:37:25 UTC 2004

> >>The information on the T5 indicates it can be seen as a
> >>USB flash drive which allows a user to drag and drop of files to/from
> >>it under Windows. If this is being done via SMB it should be possible
> >>to do the same thing under Linux.
> >>

> >You can mount SD/MMC cards much like flash drives if you get one of the
> >USB devices to plug them into.
> >
> >As far as treating the main memory on the T5 as if it were a SCSI
> >device, that's something that the pilot-link people have some plans for
> >that has not yet gotten to fruition.
>
> With the amount of memory in the T5 I have no plans to buy an extra
> memory cards for it at this time let alone buying a reader for those
> memory cards that would plug in to my desktop computer.

With the absence of support for what you're asking for, the only option
I can suggest is to look for some approach that _is_ supported.  Using
memory cards is supportable.

> I have not read anything about the memory being treated as a SCSI
> device. I was talking about it being configured as a USB flash
> drive. I don't know if that means it would be seen as a SCSI device or
> not. I thought it might mean the device would communicate via SMB
> (Samba) allowing me to use smbmount. With the hotplug feature of Linux
> the T5 might even get automounted.

USB flash drives are treated as SCSI devices, so if you want similar
treatment, that would mean treating the PalmOS device as a pseudo SCSI
device.

There is no "device driver" for that, so that isn't supported.

Furthermore, this behaviour would actually require that you get an
upgrade from PalmSource which would program the T5 to pretend it was a
USB file storage device; the Linux support for flash drives comes as a
result of two things:

 - Flash devices supporting the USB 'standard' for file storage, and

 - Linux having a driver supporting accessing "file storage" devices
   as virtual SCSI devices.

Linux has all the support it needs for USB file storage; it's the Palm
device that needs to be "fixed."

> As for the other way to communicate with the device, I know of
> gnome-pilot (and pilot-link?) which were installed by default as part of
> FC3. I removed them since I had no need of them. Looks like I will have
> to re-install them. I also discovered jpilot during my research so I
> will check that out as well.

All of the "desktop applications" use pilot-link to connect to PalmOS
devices, so the _important_ details lie in pilot-link.

To pursue the other apps for "alternatives" is to pursue red herrings.
If some capability isn't supported by pilot-link, then it's simply not
supported, and there is no point in looking elsewhere, as all you'll do
is waste time on non-solutions.
--
wm(X,Y):-write(X),write('@'),write(Y). wm('cbbrowne','gmail.com').
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/emacs.html