[TLUG-ANNOUNCE]: TLUG - Tue Dec 14, 7:30pm

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 14:21:43 UTC 2004

"Fraser Campbell" <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> on Thursday, December 16,
2004 8:08 AM wrote:

> On Thursday 16 December 2004 07:34, Colin McGregor wrote:
>
> > identical, I could have found myself in a situation where I had 26
> > machines, all from different vendors with 26 different monitors which
would
> > have made making an auto install script painfully hard to write)...
>
> This is no longer true of Debian.  I recently upgraded some HA webservers
> using sarge.  I first tested my installs on a new whitebox (single IDE
disk),
> I then performed the install on one of the old servers (an old IBM server
> with ipc hardware raid),  finally the install was applied to a new IBM 1U
> server with software RAID.

Emphasis on "no longer true", Debian Sarge was not available in early 2003
when I was finalising my plans for the convention (and in fact Debian Sarge
is still not "officially" released (yes, I know the test releases of Debian
Sarge have received very high praise, but it still is not yet an official
release)).

[snip]

> I agree on the Knoppix choice though, with such a short time frame to work
> with I think I'd have gone for a CD based distro as well.

Even if time were not a constraint (which in my case it very definitely
was), I would look to a CD based distribution for public terminals. The
issue of untrained / ignorant volunteer staff made having an easily reset
boxes very desirable. The fact that I didn't have to worry about setting
changes to the hard drive (due either to ignorance or malice) again made an
easily reset box highly desirable...

Colin McGregor