[TLUG-ANNOUNCE]: TLUG - Tue Dec 14, 7:30pm

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 13:08:34 UTC 2004

On Thursday 16 December 2004 07:34, Colin McGregor wrote:

> identical, I could have found myself in a situation where I had 26
> machines, all from different vendors with 26 different monitors which would
> have made making an auto install script painfully hard to write)...

This is no longer true of Debian.  I recently upgraded some HA webservers
using sarge.  I first tested my installs on a new whitebox (single IDE disk),
I then performed the install on one of the old servers (an old IBM server
with ipc hardware raid),  finally the install was applied to a new IBM 1U
server with software RAID.

In every case the identical fully automated install CD was used, the one part
that did differ was the final install on the 1U servers since software RAID
was used (that could have been accounted for in the autoinstall as well of
course) .  In none of the install was there ever manual specification of
hardware.

I agree on the Knoppix choice though, with such a short time frame to work
with I think I'd have gone for a CD based distro as well.