[TLUG-ANNOUNCE]: TLUG - Tue Dec 14, 7:30pm

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 14 14:32:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 08:06:51AM -0500, David Mayerlen wrote:
>  Buy her a Mac. Only half joking. One must recognize that OSX is not Linux
> but shares the same wonderful base of software from the "free software
> world". Apple's next big move should be to distribute a Linux ... but I
> guess they are really an MP3 player company now.

Apple already did linux for the old 68k Macs.  And of course in usual
apple way of handling unix of any kind, they threw it on top of mach.

As far as I know, Apple Unix runs on mach, mklinux runs on mac, Mac OS X
runs on mach, nextstep runs on mach (I believe).  They apparently only
understand running an OS on top of a microkernel.

>  Knoppix is great but doesn't always work ... at least I can't get it to
> work on the two machines I have tried it on. One is a lovely IBM Thinkpad
> and I just haven't had a spare couple of days to debug it. Can't wait
> until I do get it working however. I'm very jealous of my friends that
> have it working...

In the past I have found that any kind of framebuffer console driver
fails on many thinkpads and just gives a blank screen.  Not all
thinkpads, but many.

>  What I'm really saying is test out the Knoppix on the computer. Try
> living with it yourself for a bit.

Easier to remotely upgrade a real Debian install than knoppix at least.

Lennart Sorensen