Mac OS-X

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 16 04:05:23 UTC 2004

> As far as I know, Apple Unix runs on mach, mklinux runs on mac, Mac OS
> X runs on mach, nextstep runs on mach (I believe).  They apparently
> only understand running an OS on top of a microkernel.

Originally, Mach wasn't a microkernel; it represented a model for a
different shaping of threading and IPC on Unix.  OSF/1 which was later
called Digital UNIX was based on Mach, but _wasn't_ a microkernel
system.

And yeah, there's an opinionated/knowledgeable senior Mach person at
Apple.  Tevanian worked on Mach back in the beginning, and is now Chief
Software Technology Officer at Apple...
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avie_Tevanian>

In view of having someone eminent that has long term wisdom about Mach
and its usage, Apple could certainly do worse than pick that as one of
the technologies.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linux.html