LCD / Video Card advice request

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 27 18:24:21 UTC 2004

A few small details:

All lcd panels (the active glass) currently made are analog in nature.
They have rgb inputs to the chip-on-glass drivers. So the A/D is either in
the VGA card or in the panel, and it's not so important, except the a/d's
in the panel are better matched to the glass than any analog signals can
be. The signal that goes into the glass is *analog* even if you use DVI
connectors and the a/d's are in the panel.

The DVI connector will probably be much more useful if used with a plasma
display, where the steering can be fully digital. But the pixels
themselves are still analog devices, and require analog signals. Same for
DLP (high quality projectors). The final pixel that does the light
modulating thing is analog.

I do not like LCD displays very much and I will postpone buying one as
long as I can. There is a 17" sony trinitron on my table ... We'll talk
lcd when I can't see the difference between that and a lcd monitor *and*
it has to be affordable.

Peter