LCD / Video Card advice request

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 27 14:40:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 10:31:44AM -0400, Andrej Marjan wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 07:40:17PM -0400, Peter King wrote:
> In general it should, but not necessarily. I recall seeing a review for
> a monitor that actually produced *worse* quality through its DVI input.

Would that be a CRT monitor or an LCD monitor?  I can easily see how
someone could put really crappy D/A converters into a CRT, such that
a good graphics card could put out better signal over a VGA cable.  I
don't imagine that that would be possible with the fully digital (I'd hope!)
pipeline of DVI being used with an LCD.

> But if you'll *ever* need to play video on the monitor, then you'll find
> that only a very few monitors (and only 2 panels IIRC) can do the job at
> all, and the price you pay is colour fidelity (which doesn't matter for
> text anyway), and possibly viewing angle and some other such things vs.
> the newest slow panels/monitors.

That sounds a bit extreme.  LCDs have come a LONG way in the past 5 years.
The worst of the bunch now are far beyond the capabilities of the best
from a short while ago.  The best suggestion would be to look at them
in the store.  Bring a DVD and ask to watch parts of a movie.  Test drive
it with a word processor in the store.  YOU are the best judge of how
good a monitor looks, to you.  ;)

> I recall that there are some pretty decent introductory articles on
> Tom's Hardware about the topic, and they are unusually accurate and
> truthful considering the source.

That's also a good idea.  You may be the best judge, but it's always good
to be well-informed, so that you can judge better.  :)

--
taa

    Even severest penury will have no adverse effect
    on the character of a child as long as that child's
    personal integrity is not damaged by hipocrisy,
    cruelty, abuse, corporal punishment, and psychological
    humiliation.
--Empathic Parenting, p. 16, Volume 22, Issue 3, Summer 1999
/*eof*/