Toronto store for Sun -> VGA adapter?

Tom Legrady legrady-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 14:57:05 UTC 2004

Julian C. Dunn wrote:

>Some Ultra 10's (like mine) have an add-on Creator 3D board in the UPA
>slot, which uses 13W3. I'm pretty sure Sun is still using 13W3 for
>accelerator boards.
>

>>[2] Using the X protocol.  It's capabilities seem to be poorly understood
>>even in Unix circles these days :(
>>

>Re [2], I don't understand what you mean... how do you propose to have him
>run display data over the serial console?

If you have an accelerator card, then probably you want to view the
graphics generated by it, so you will have to find yourself the adapter.

But if the Sun generated ordinary slow video, you could connect the
serial output to a terminal or to another computer. During boot, the Sun
will use the serial output as the console,  I think only if there is no
keyboard connected directly. Once the computer has booted, you can
connect from another computer through the network, set your DISPLAY
variable to the remote display ( if it wasn't set automatically ),  and
then run software on the Sun with the display on the remote machine. In
this case, the graphics hardware on the Sun is simply a power drain,
totally unused.

If your desktop machine has a top-notch graphics card, I doubt that a
few-year-old Sun accelerator would keep up, so spend your money on
network cables and run the Sun headless.

Tom