Toronto store for Sun -> VGA adapter?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 15:22:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Julian C. Dunn wrote:

> > [2] Using the X protocol.  It's capabilities seem to be poorly understood
> > even in Unix circles these days :(
>
> Re [2], I don't understand what you mean... how do you propose to have him
> run display data over the serial console?

No :) I meant using the serial console for emergency stuff only and
accessing the box over the network the rest of the time.

With properly configured ssh, access to the Sun from a PC (running
Linux,FreeBSD,etc) can be completely transparent, right up to displaying
graphical apps directly from the Sun.  A user can be forgiven for not
realising if an app is running locally or remotely.

As I'm sure Julian and others know, this cross-platform/cross-operating
system capability is a fundamental feature of X.  It is extremely useful
in instances where a particular app is available only on a restricted
range of platforms or operating systems.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, rbrockway-cFo9iiqjkw8eIZ0/mPfg9Q at public.gmane.org