Toronto store for Sun -> VGA adapter?

Julian C. Dunn lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 26 14:16:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Robert Brockway wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Mike Kirk wrote:
>
> > I recently bought a Sun Ultra 10 used with Gentoo installed. I'd like to use
> > it with a PC monitor, but I can't find any stores in my area that stock the
> > adapter I need (http://www.computerplug.com/adapter_13w3vga1.htm). I'm
>
> Hi Mike.  Your Ultra 10 has a 13W3?  Every Ultra 10 (or Ultra 5 [1]) I've
> ever seen uses VGA out.  Are you sure this isn't a SpaceStation 10 (SS10)?
> Sun dropped 13W3 in preference to VGA long ago.

Some Ultra 10's (like mine) have an add-on Creator 3D board in the UPA
slot, which uses 13W3. I'm pretty sure Sun is still using 13W3 for
accelerator boards.

> In any case, why not use a serial console and remote display [2] all your
> data from the Sun box to a display running on a PC Linux box (normally the
> console although it is not necessary).
>
> [1] Including the one I just looked at.
>
> [2] Using the X protocol.  It's capabilities seem to be poorly understood
> even in Unix circles these days :(

Re [2], I don't understand what you mean... how do you propose to have him
run display data over the serial console?

- Julian

[    Julian C. Dunn <jdunn-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> * <julian-50k5kYnWtIlg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>      ]
[   WWW: www.aquezada.com/staff/julian/ * www.dreaming.org/~julian/   ]
[ PGP: 0xFDC205B9 - 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F 442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9 ]
[      "sometimes you win, sometimes you lose / and most times        ]
[     you choose between the two" - carole king, "sweet seasons"      ]