Fedora Woes

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ== at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 19 17:58:37 UTC 2004

Noah John Gellner <noah.gellner-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA==@public.gmane.org> writes:

> This mystery for me is why Redhat is such a popular commercial
> distribution.
>
> I remember having a look at Redhat when it was introduced
> and didn't like it then - I was a Slackware guy.

Hmmm.  I used to use Slackware before switching to RH.  Now, Debian is my
distro of choice.  Interestingly, a couple of the reasons I switched from
Slackware to RH are reasons I later switched to Debian, specifically:

    o   superior packaging, and

    o   availability of packaged software.

Slackware may have improved (I'm sure it has) but, at the time ('94 or '95,
around when Caldera released the Caldera Network Desktop based on RH), it's
pure TGZ packaging was quite primitive, compared with RPM, and there were
many more packages available for RH.  I also preferred RH's SysV style
initscripts to Slackware's BSD style.

> Against my better judgment I continue to try their new releases and now the
> Fedora releases.

I've been ignoring Fedora.  At some point, I'll probably have to try it out
just to "stay current".

> Yea, and I don't get Nautilus. gtk looks so nice but beyond that ...
>
> Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions and no offence is meant to
> anyone who has had other experiences with Redhat and Gnome. More power
> to you. No one can fault Linux for providing 101 tools for most jobs.

Well said.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ==@public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada