Fedora Woes

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA= at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 19 18:25:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:58:37PM -0400, Tim Writer wrote:
> Slackware may have improved (I'm sure it has) but, at the time ('94 or
> '95, around when Caldera released the Caldera Network Desktop based on
> RH), it's pure TGZ packaging was quite primitive, compared with RPM,

Slackware is still .tgz.

> and there were many more packages available for RH.  I also preferred
> RH's SysV style initscripts to Slackware's BSD style.

At least for me, :-)
    - simplicity of .tgz packaging,
    - simplicity of BSD rc scripts, and
    - ability to install non-interactively using script
are the main features of Slackware.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA=@public.gmane.org>
Linux solution/training/migration, Thin-client