the problem with Linux?

Rob Sutherland rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 13 20:02:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:31:38 -0400
Fraser Campbell <fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 April 2004 13:18, Rob Sutherland wrote:
>
> > Not to sound like a Heartless Opportunist(tm), but the reason I use
> > Redhat/Fedora now is because, at least in North America, it has, IMHO, the
> > highest level of name recognition in potential clients.
>
> I can understand that but in my experience it's not that important, also I'm
> surprised that your clients would know what Fedora is.

I'd be surpised if they did as well...I'm actually thinking not so much of my current
clients, who are mainly SME's, and are, as you say, completely uninterested but of the
(hopefully) emerging market for larger corporate and government datacenter
implementations/conversions. Those are people who do select on buzzwords, at least until
you get through the HR people and the PHB types and into the techies :-)

> > The reason I started using it originally was simply that it was easier to
> > install than Slackware.
>
> Funny, the reason I started using Debian was that it was easier to upgrade
> than Slackware ;-)

As I think back, I think that a post recommending Redhat was the first up when I
searched on 'Slackware installation problem' :-) The link not taken...:-)

Rob

Rob Sutherland - rob-HoWcdTCbwWKHoZZAE0nKLw at public.gmane.org
Computer Support at http://www.cheapersafer.com