Relaying mail over Rogers

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 11 19:37:16 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 April 2004 10:59, Dmitri Vassilenko wrote:

> > Mind you, this probably works because my machine's IP resolves to my
> > personal domain (via dyndns).
>
> I have been using dyndns.org for a while now to SSH into my machine
> remotely, so my IP already resolves to my subdomain there.

Technically not, your IP resolves to a Rogers hostname, that is controlled by
Rogers and nothing you do with dyndns.org will change that.

> > Why not just use your Linux box to send the mail directly to the
> > recipients?  Rogers doesn't block outbound/inbound SMTP (unlike
> > Sympatico).
>
> Would you mind telling more about it, or maybe pointing me in the right
> direction so I could do a little research myself? I'll Google around
> nevertheless. This sounds very interesting.

I expect you'll need parameters something like this:

myhostname = mail.subdomain.dyndns.org
myorigin = subdomain.dyndns.org
append_dot_mydomain = yes  # Skip this if you like
mydestination = subdomain.dyndns.org
relayhost =         # Needn't be specified, here to show that it is not set

As long as your machine has functional dns things should just work.  Postfix
will lookup mx records for other domains and relay mail directly to the
appropriate host.

Relaying directly from a dynamic ip pool you will run into sites that
blacklist your mail.  For that reason, and for technical satisfaction, you
may wish to pursue authenticated relaying through Rogers servers ... I
haven't set that up before so I can't offer any pointers.