Relaying mail over Rogers

Dmitri Vassilenko troworld-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 11 21:49:01 UTC 2004

Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Sunday 11 April 2004 10:59, Dmitri Vassilenko wrote:
>

>>>Mind you, this probably works because my machine's IP resolves to my
>>>personal domain (via dyndns).
>>
>>I have been using dyndns.org for a while now to SSH into my machine
>>remotely, so my IP already resolves to my subdomain there.
>

> Technically not, your IP resolves to a Rogers hostname, that is
controlled by
> Rogers and nothing you do with dyndns.org will change that.

You are right. I was typing in a hurry. I meant to say that my
dyndns.org subdomain already points to my IP address.

>>>Why not just use your Linux box to send the mail directly to the
>>>recipients?  Rogers doesn't block outbound/inbound SMTP (unlike
>>>Sympatico).
>>
>>Would you mind telling more about it, or maybe pointing me in the right
>>direction so I could do a little research myself? I'll Google around
>>nevertheless. This sounds very interesting.
>

> I expect you'll need parameters something like this:
>
> myhostname = mail.subdomain.dyndns.org
> myorigin = subdomain.dyndns.org
> append_dot_mydomain = yes  # Skip this if you like
> mydestination = subdomain.dyndns.org
> relayhost =         # Needn't be specified, here to show that it is
not set

> As long as your machine has functional dns things should just work.
Postfix
> will lookup mx records for other domains and relay mail directly to the
> appropriate host.

Indeed. It just worked. :)
Thanks.

> Relaying directly from a dynamic ip pool you will run into sites that
> blacklist your mail.  For that reason, and for technical satisfaction,
you
> may wish to pursue authenticated relaying through Rogers servers ... I
> haven't set that up before so I can't offer any pointers.

I don't send a lot of mail, but the mail that I send I expect to get to
its destination, so I'm going with the SMTP AUTH approach, although
sending directly from my box also worked.

A guide on Gentoo forums helped me set everything up in this regard.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=56633. It's not very
Gentoo-centered, except for the "emerge" commands.

Thanks for everyone's help!

- --
Dmitri Vassilenko

OpenPGP-key located at
http://biglumber.com/Keys/pubkey.77B11071761187FA.Dmitri_Vassilenko.asc
OpenPGP Fingerprint: 4023 5A66 2914 300F 0A5D  E056 77B1 1071 7611 87FA