Relaying mail over Rogers

Dmitri Vassilenko troworld-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 11 14:59:57 UTC 2004

Paul Mora wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-10 at 14:42, Dmitri Vassilenko wrote:
>

>>In my .muttrc, if I have "set from = <myreal-BV/SctExNYOTkO8mciVlQg at public.gmane.org>", and if
>>I'm sending email to myself, I get the following response from the
>>Rogers Postmaster:
>>"host smtp.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com[66.185.95.99] said: 553 Due to a
>>small error in your Email settings, you are currently unable to send
>>Email. To quickly fix this, please visit the Transition Website at
>>http://rogershelp.com/smtp to access automatic tools and instructions to
>>fix this error. (in reply to end of DATA command)"
>

> This is because the Rogers SMTP server requires you to log in before
> sending the mail.  You will have to configure SMTP AUTH under Postfix.

Ah, yes. I was wondering why I didn't have to authenticate with Rogers
SMTP when sending mail. Hmm.

> Search Google for "smtp auth postfix" to find lots of info on how to get
> this working.  Depending on your distribution and how they compiled
> Postfix, you may have to rebuild/recompile it with SASL support in it.

I'm using Gentoo, so I think I can just set a USE flag and recompile
Postfix to get this working. There's a guide on the Gentoo forums, too.
But I'm interested in your approach.

> I once tried to do this, but gave up for an easier solution.  I don't
> use Rogers SMTP as a relay; I just have my Linux box do normal DNS
> lookups and connect directly to whomever I'm trying to send mail to.
>
> Mind you, this probably works because my machine's IP resolves to my
> personal domain (via dyndns).

I have been using dyndns.org for a while now to SSH into my machine
remotely, so my IP already resolves to my subdomain there.

>>If I send email to an address with another domain, I get this:
>>
>>"host smtp.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com[66.185.95.99] said: 550 relaying
>>mail to anotherdomain.com is not allowed (in reply to RCPT TO command)"
>

> Pretty normal response.  No one allows relaying to hosts not in the
> local domain.

But if I comment out the "set from" line in my .muttrc, the mail does
get through, albeit with a wrong "From:" header. Does this mean that if
I don't specify my email address explicitly, Rogers assumes I'm in its
domain? Sorry, I'm very new to this.

>>I could work around this by simply adding a "Reply-To:" header, but I'd
>>rather avoid hacks if there's a simpler solution.
>

> Why not just use your Linux box to send the mail directly to the
> recipients?  Rogers doesn't block outbound/inbound SMTP (unlike
> Sympatico).

Would you mind telling more about it, or maybe pointing me in the right
direction so I could do a little research myself? I'll Google around
nevertheless. This sounds very interesting.

Thanks!

- --
Dmitri Vassilenko

OpenPGP-key located at
http://biglumber.com/Keys/pubkey.77B11071761187FA.Dmitri_Vassilenko.asc
OpenPGP Fingerprint: 4023 5A66 2914 300F 0A5D  E056 77B1 1071 7611 87FA