Converting the root filesystem to ReiserFS on LVM...

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 5 14:39:12 UTC 2004

Hi all,

   I am officially stumped... I have tried two rescue discs (SysRescCD
and PLD Rescue) as well and my Fedora Core 1 install disk using 'linux
rescue' in an attempt to backup the FC1 root partition so that I can
reformat it as ReiserFS and then restore it.

   When I use the FC1 cd I can't unmount '/mnt/sysimage' which is seen
as the LVM device '/dev/VG00/LV00', it keeps saying the device or
resource is busy (despite being out of the directory and running off the
CD). When I try to boot off either rescue CD 'root' isn't mounted but
then I can't find the darn LVM partitions (and yes I made sure that the
rescue CDs supported LVM and ReiserFS).

   Under Fedora the devices I need to mount are on:

/dev/VG00/LV00 = '/' (currently ext3)
/dev/VG00/LV01 = '/backup' (reiserfs)
/dev/VG00/LV02 = '/snapshot' (reiserfs)

   Under the two rescue CDs though there is no '/dev/VG00...'. Where
would I find those partitions? I tried looking under '/dev/' but the
only thing relevant I could find was '/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/'
and there was no sign of the LVM partitions (nor under variants like
'bus1', etc.).

   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Madison