802.11b cardbus card for gentoo?

Stewart C. Russell scruss-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 6 01:13:01 UTC 2004

Nick Davey wrote:

> Also, the Dlink 802.11b cards apparently work with the madwifi
> drivers, but thats only what I've heard.

Thanks, Nick. I did a bit of research, and discovered that Linux's
support for PC-card WiFi NICs is arcane. If you want to use a really old
802.11b card, they are well supported. Recent ones are a mess of ninary
drivers and firmware patches. Bleah.

I'm currently fighting with a D-Link DWL-650+ card, which several sites
claim they have got working (though, worryingly, the main acx100 SF.net
site says it won't).

At the bottom of one of the HOWTO pages, I found a very annoying
statement: "This also works with the SMC 2435W card." The SMC 2435W is
the one I bought the other day. Argh!

cheers,
  Stewart