Looking for computer Co-op placement (warning this is a job seaker posting)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 14:39:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:48:38AM -0400, Tom wrote:
> Not true.  In software development there are no jobs in Linux at all.
>
> Most of the postings I see are for Java or C# and database skills.  The C++ jobs I see are for Visual C++, UNIX (usually Solaris) and embedded.  You might find a job that will let you program on Linux (like Java, Perl, etc.) but you won't find anything that let's you do real Linux work.

It is not very long ago (2 months maybe) that primus posted multiple
linux c/c++/sql developement positions they wanted to fill.

So there are jobs out there for doing linux development.

Where I work, we have one Visual-C++ programmer doing windows
developement (ok, he is a co-op), and another doing mac os X development
(also a co-op), and everything else we do on linux, which is what we use
for the server side.  I don't do java (I hope I never have to learn that
mess), and I don't do visual whatever (I have never had to).  So far I
haven't had a problem getting a job (although I have only been out of
school 3 years so far).  My co-op positions were either sysadmin/tech
support or unix development (about half of each type).  Finding the unix
development jobs on the other hand may be harder, but that doesn't mean
they don't exist.

Lennart Sorensen