Looking for computer Co-op placement (warning this is a job seaker posting)

Michael mjc106-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 04:18:37 UTC 2003

> What do they tell you in school (Waterloo or Ryerson) about the
> offshore programming and your career?

Offshore programming is not the only problem, I once had an interview
with WebHelp.com a company that seems to generate business by helping
companies move their technical support overseas. This may partly
explain the depressing lack of entry level jobs.

> Are the students concerned that offshore programming will mean that
> they can't make a career out of software development?

At least my M Eng is in a more Network Analyst type training, except
nobody wants to hire you unless you have experience, and how do you
get experience, by getting a job... what a great system eh!

> I'm personally concerned that the interesting jobs - like systems
> development - will go offshore and the boring jobs - like designing
> screens to look exactly as the client wants - will stay here.  I'm
> a C++ developer.

If it helps at all, I have heard some real horror stories about
companies that outsourced their software development / IS
departments, outsourcing is not as easy as everyone believe/hoped.

Michael