Looking for computer Co-op placement (warning this is a job seaker posting)

Ralph Doncaster ralph-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 25 04:19:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Tom wrote:

> I'm personally concerned that the interesting jobs - like systems
> development - will go offshore and the boring jobs - like designing
> screens to look exactly as the client wants - will stay here.

I hired my first offshore programmer around '93 (a student from Romania)
and was paying around US$2/hr at the time.  Back then the banking systems
sucked so bad the easiest way to pay him was mailing US$20 bills to him.
Even now it's still a lot more work getting money to someone in one of the
developing high-tech nations.

Some tech jobs are going to go offshore, but a significant portion of them
will stay.  When the motherboard in the corporate fileserver dies it's not
very effective to dispatch someone from Delhi to fix it.  I've thought of
outsourcing my tech support offshore, but won't.  The techs supporting my
ADSL customers have the same ADSL service at home (as well as in the
office).  They know how the service really works whereas an offshore
call-center would only have a lab that tries to simulate the service.

If you're smart, hard-working, posess interpersonal skills, and are good
with Linux you'll have no trouble finding work.  If you hold an MCSE and
program in VB I'd say a career change is in order...

-Ralph