Ximian Evolution question

Lloyd D Budd lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 17:19:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 12:35, Kareem Shehata wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 12:24, Madison Kelly wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply, Kareen!
> >
> >   I am running 1.2.2-5 so maybe an upgrade is in order. Can I ask, I am
> > almost ashamed to ask how IMAP differs from POP but it is something I
> > never considered but now you have piqued my interest!
>
> I don't know much about the protocol itself, but the end result from a
> user's perspective is essentially server-side vs. client-side storage.
> I know that both can be used for both purposes, but from what I've seen
> IMAP is far more effective than POP3 at storing mail and synchronizing
> to one or more clients for the same inbox.

The developer's of evo are the 1st to admit that it's IMAP client
implementation is lacking.  Improving it does not seem to be a priority.

For many it is good enough, but for some (seems dependent on IMAP server
software and volume of email) it makes evo unusable -- supposedly kmail
has a good implementation.  Check the Ximian Evolution List
<evolution-YszlSufgerXQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> for more details.

Cheers,
Lloyd