adsl connection

gilles fourchet gilles.fourchet-zzOxFVvAfJPQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 01:10:06 UTC 2003

Actually, I did go to EOL and I have tested the modem
on one of their machine: it went flawlessly.

With respect to the wire, when bell came, they tested
the connection directly from the jack I am using but as
well from the LAN cable plugged in the modem (the guy
plugged the cable in a portable tester and said that it
was okay).   Therefore, I am assuming that the LAN
cable is okay, the modem is okay, the copper is okay
and the CO is okay (but with Bell, you never know).

I really would like to go with ADSL but I am afraid to
run into the same problem with another provider.  The
other solution for me would be to have Rogers while I
am fixing my connection.

Anyway, any other idea, Keith :-).

Thanks,

Gilles

Quoting Keith Mastin <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org>:

> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > I did try with 3 different OSes (Debian, Win 2000,
and
> > Win XP) on 3 different machines.  Same result.
> >
> > With respect to the line, I understand that Bell
> > screwed up your line.  In my case, it is perhaps the
> > case but they did come last Friday to test
everything
> > inside the house (included the connection from the
LAN
> > cable attached to the modem) and they claimed that
> > everything was fine.
>
> Okay. Bad modem? Have you tried disconnecting every
other phone device in
> the house and running it solo?
>
> If Bell was already there, then you have 2 options:
the problem is between
> your computers and the wall (modem) or on Bell's end
at the CO, or the
> copper is bad. They've tested the copper?
>
> If it's at the CO switching modems won't fix the
problem, and Bell will
> have to look into it deeper.
>
> > So I am pretty sure it is outside the house (or I am
> > really not lucky and my 3 machines with my 3 OSes
are
> > all faulty).  I called the EOL support to explain
them
> > everything I did and the call lasted 30 secondes:
"Sir
> > either you want me to reopen the ticket to Bell or
you
> > call tomorrow the Sales to get reimbursed."  Nice
way
> > to do support.
>
> I agree. Vote with your feet. One of the guys on the
list is from EOL, he
> might be interested to hear the details.
>
> > Anyway, I guess that the only solution for me is to
> > return to this ... provider of Rogers.
>
> ...rogers... *blink blink* ...that's drastic. I'm
moving from dsl.ca to
> iStop pretty soon here. As long as I can get to
second level tech support

http://tlug.ss.org
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below
80 columns