adsl connection

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 00:33:14 UTC 2003

> Hi Keith,
>
> I did try with 3 different OSes (Debian, Win 2000, and
> Win XP) on 3 different machines.  Same result.
>
> With respect to the line, I understand that Bell
> screwed up your line.  In my case, it is perhaps the
> case but they did come last Friday to test everything
> inside the house (included the connection from the LAN
> cable attached to the modem) and they claimed that
> everything was fine.

Okay. Bad modem? Have you tried disconnecting every other phone device in
the house and running it solo?

If Bell was already there, then you have 2 options: the problem is between
your computers and the wall (modem) or on Bell's end at the CO, or the
copper is bad. They've tested the copper?

If it's at the CO switching modems won't fix the problem, and Bell will
have to look into it deeper.

> So I am pretty sure it is outside the house (or I am
> really not lucky and my 3 machines with my 3 OSes are
> all faulty).  I called the EOL support to explain them
> everything I did and the call lasted 30 secondes: "Sir
> either you want me to reopen the ticket to Bell or you
> call tomorrow the Sales to get reimbursed."  Nice way
> to do support.

I agree. Vote with your feet. One of the guys on the list is from EOL, he
might be interested to hear the details.

> Anyway, I guess that the only solution for me is to
> return to this ... provider of Rogers.

...rogers... *blink blink* ...that's drastic. I'm moving from dsl.ca to
iStop pretty soon here. As long as I can get to second level tech support
and get the options I need, I'm pretty easy to please.