adsl connection

gilles fourchet gilles.fourchet-zzOxFVvAfJPQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 00:32:12 UTC 2003

Hi Keith,

I did try with 3 different OSes (Debian, Win 2000, and
Win XP) on 3 different machines.  Same result.

With respect to the line, I understand that Bell
screwed up your line.  In my case, it is perhaps the
case but they did come last Friday to test everything
inside the house (included the connection from the LAN
cable attached to the modem) and they claimed that
everything was fine.

So I am pretty sure it is outside the house (or I am
really not lucky and my 3 machines with my 3 OSes are
all faulty).  I called the EOL support to explain them
everything I did and the call lasted 30 secondes: "Sir
either you want me to reopen the ticket to Bell or you
call tomorrow the Sales to get reimbursed."  Nice way
to do support.

Anyway, I guess that the only solution for me is to
return to this ... provider of Rogers.

Gilles
Quoting Keith Mastin <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org>:

> > Thanks for the tip.
> >
> > Unfortunately, in my case, it did not work.  I have
tried to start
> > pppoe with an MTU of 536 (the lowest allowed) and a
timeout of 120 sec.

> > Same problem.
>
> I guess one question that should be asked is have you
tried to connect any
> other system into this adsl connection? If so, how
did things work. I have
> yet to see an adsl connection that needs an MTU of
less than 1450. Anyone
> with a laptop should be able to connect in just a
couple minutes if you
> don't have another system handy.
>
> Check out the layer one structure. I suspect you
might have an issue
> there. I've had Bell 'upgrade' my line and it
completely fubared my

http://tlug.ss.org
> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below
80 columns