Ximian Evolution question

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 22 23:33:55 UTC 2003

<snip>
> I am running 1.2.2-5 so maybe an upgrade is in order. Can I ask, I am
> almost ashamed to ask how IMAP differs from POP but it is something I
> never considered but now you have piqued my interest!

IMAP allows you to leave the mail on the server and read it from many
locations, or to access it over webmail.

POP stores the mail on the server until you download it to your client,
and you deal with it there. POP basically marries your mail to one
computer, or there are distribution issues to deal with.

IMAP was created to allow more flexibility to mail delivery, and it works.
For example, courier-imap has an option to share folders at the server
level. (I'm still trying to figure out a way to get that little trick to
work squirrelmail.)

HTH

--
Keith Mastin
BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.