Ximian Evolution question

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Tue Sep 23 16:53:05 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:
> POP stores the mail on the server until you download it to your client,
> and you deal with it there. POP basically marries your mail to one
> computer, or there are distribution issues to deal with.

I do not aggree. I have had POP3 servers store my messages sometimes for
months. I simply do not delete them, and I can access them from any email
client.  Then I can delete them from one of the clients when I like. This
implies that all POP3 clients I use are disciplined (they are) and the
server works flawlessly (it does).

The problem I see with IMAP is the number of files and directories, and
the difficulty with intrusion detection etc (system keeps changing all the
time).  No major ISP will likely run IMAP unless they make a server that
uses a database as a backend imho.

Peter