Unable to log-in

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 22 18:21:09 UTC 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:52:42 -0400
Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> Maybe this is like the chicken and the egg: could fix the
> system if I could log in and could log in if I fix the system?)
>
> I appreciate your help.

Oooooh, good question...

try this:

you could *try* copying the file from one install to the other, assuming
the partition you wish to copy to is accessible, even as root.

on your good installation, do a:

locate libcurses.so.5

if it is not found, do an updatedb as root, then try again. It should
give you the proper location and such. I've done this successfully
before with two different *Mandrake* installations across the network,
but if you are copying between two different distros? Could spell
trouble, but then what have you got to lose, LOL!

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046